Saturday, December 21, 2013

Happy Holiday: Christmas Traditions - Santa

'Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house not a mouse was stirring....
Here is my big question for you: Do you tell your children about Santa Claus? There has been so much debate about it lately and even one of my friends on Facebook that I went to school with asked this question. Some parents feel like it's lying to their kids. I don't think so - it's all about a child's imagination. It's all about the fun and joy you see on a child's face and feel in your heart. Some also say that Santa Claus takes away from the reason for Christmas: Jesus. Truth is, no Santa doesn't. Not if you do it right at least. The retail companies have a lot of commercialization and I think take out Jesus in Christmas. It is our job as parents to make sure our kids know why we celebrate Christmas. It's what I do - I tell my kids that that God sent his son Jesus to us and how Mary gave birth to him. I make sure they understand at Easter time too - Jesus was born and died for our sins. Santa is the fun for the presents under the tree - but there is no other gift than what Jesus did for us.


Did you believe in Santa Claus when you were little? I don't mean to step on any toes here, but I feel the same way when it comes to trick or treating at Halloween time and adults say they don't like kids going door to door for candy because it's begging. What I have to say to that is that's a total lazy cop-out. If it was good for you when you were little, why isn't it good enough for your kids? But that is my opinion and honestly, I don't know how you feel or your own reasons for telling about Santa or not. Sorry for any toes....


With Shelby being 8 now, I have so many fears. How long will she want to play with baby dolls and barbies; and how long will she believe in Santa Claus? Sometimes I pull this card out that I have and say that I have met Santa. I really did lol - when working at Walmart so long ago, an old man with a white beard came up to me and gave me his card. Says Santa right on it. So yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. But when Shelby knows the truth - how will she take it? And how will she use this information? Shelby can be such a little brat to her brother (as brother & sisters sometimes do) I am so afraid that she will find out before I have a chance to talk to her and she's going to run to Lucas and tell him - because that is exactly what Shelby would do!

Shelby killed Santa at age 3
We didn't get around to seeing Santa this year (I think we see him like every other year or so) but the kids know he's watching. Shelby did mention last night that she'd like to set up a trap for Santa because she's starting to believe he's not real. I'm like oh crap! I'm going to see if we can't set something cool up to kind of keep her believing (I don't want my baby girl to grow up!). At least she still believes in the tooth fairy (who is trying to get to visit her before Santa comes). One little tooth at the bottom might just come out tomorrow. Easting an apple tonight didn't work.


Lucas is still fun with Santa. He's "scare-able" enough that I can tell him that if he messes with anyone's stockings including his own (both he and his sister were drawing pictures and putting them in tonight) that he will wake up to coal come Christmas morning. I did something like that right before Thanksgiving when we visited his aunt in the hospital. The doctor was in talking with my sister-in-law when Lucas started to bounce around and make noises. He was board. But I told him that if he didn't quiet down, the doctor was going to give him a shot. I'm a mean mommy lol.

Wow - just 3 more days until Christmas! Come back Tuesday for my final Christmas Traditions post: movies & music.

Christmas 3 years ago (Shelby 5, Lucas 2 1/2)

2 comments:

  1. We did tell our kids about Santa. My daughter still believes, my son figured it out. I believed in Santa when I was a kid too :) It was lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember getting a special letter from Santa when I was little. When I found out he wasn't real, I fought hard because I was like - but I got a letter! lol

      Delete